Thursday, April 1, 2021

Blog Response #8: The Metaphors of Life of Pi (Chapters 37-57); also, Paper #3 assignment

 Be sure to read Chapters 37-57 (or somewhere around there) for next week's class. Bring your book to class, since that will help you with the in-class writing! The video below will give you some insight on Paper #3 as well as discuss some of the next chapters of the book.  The Paper #3 assignment is pasted below in case you weren't in class or lost it. See you next week! 


Conversation Paper #3: The Facts of Fiction

 

INTRO: In Chapter 25 of Life of Pi, Pi is discussing people who ignore the suffering of the world, but become enraged if someone insults their religious beliefs. As he writes, “These people fail to realize that it is on the inside that God must be defended, not on the outside. They should direct their anger at themselves. For evil in the open is but evil from within that has been let out…To me, religion is about our dignity, not our depravity” (71). This is surprisingly similar to Persepolis, where the Iranian government tortures and imprisons its own citizens for not wearing veils or listening to Michael Jackson. The true evil, both suggest, come from the people judging—not the people who are judged imperfect.

PROMPT: Discuss how both books offer a similar critique or discussion of one or more ‘real world’ issues below:

  • Finding one’s true identity
  • The nature of faith or belief
  • The value of a human life
  • The importance of education
  • Being ‘free’ vs. being ‘confined’
  • The corrupting influence of power
  • The value of integrity
  • Others?

Remember that though both novels are fiction, they each try to help us see the ‘truth’ of the world around us. So consider how each book agrees on or helps us examine certain key ideas in our own society/lives. You might also consider how each character is a refugee, forced away from their families and homes; to find themselves, they have to create their own values—a sort of ‘life raft’ to bring them safely to a distant shore. Feel free to relate this to your own life, and use personal examples that helped you understand each book (or, you can discuss it more generally—your choice).

SOURCES: Obviously, you must use both books in your paper, quoting from each one to show the connections between their lives and yours (or our lives in general). I also want you to use TWO additional sources, which could be (a) two interviews from Humans, which use people from similar backgrounds (Iran, India) or situations that relate to the characters’ struggles; (b) two articles that underline the issues you discuss in your paper—for example, the suppression of female identity, or the rise of fundamentalism in the world; or (c) two other works of art, such as books, songs, or even movies that discuss similar themes or are inspirational for you in your own journey of discovery. Just make sure these works add CONTEXT to your discussion, and help us understand why this conversation is meaningful and relatable.

REQUIREMENTS

  • At least 4 pages, double spaced, but you can do much more
  • Must have a conversation between both books using quotes and discussion; help us understand the Context and the Meaning of the passages you quote
  • Must use at least TWO secondary sources, either from Humans, articles, or other works of art  
  • Use proper MLA citations throughout; see previous handouts for help, or check the Purdue OWL website: owl.purdue.ed (then click on “MLA Formatting and Style Guide” under “Most Popular Resources”)
  • DUE FRIDAY, APRIL 16th BY 5pm

22 comments:

  1. For some reason when asked the question "What has college been like?", it makes me picture a tree in autumn. College is like a tree, and each leaf changing colors and falling off is a day at a time. Some days good, and some bad, but once that leaf falls to the ground, that day is over and gone. Patience is the hardest part about college, just like you have to be patient to watch all the leaves fall off the tree. But once all the leaves have fallen, college is over and you've made it. All that's left is the pile of leaves on the ground which is the memories you've made throughout the years there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful response--and a very compelling metaphor as well! I can understand this; when you're watching it in real time, it seems unbearably slow, or like nothing's happening at all. And then, when you forget to watch, the leaves turn color and fall off. And there's just a beautiful pile on the ground. Dead, but more beautiful because they're only memories now, and you can look back on them and enjoy them even more. It really reminds you to enjoy the little moments, and remember to have patience while things last--because soon they won't!

      Delete
  2. I like to think of college as the "golden ticket". I say this because after all the years of stress, homework, tests, and many other things, you finally get the "golden ticket", you get a degree. Ultimately that degree will get you a career and then you can start your life. When things get tough, I always remind myself that it's going to be worth it in the end. I'm doing this for my future family so I can give them the best life possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one--a degree is very like a golden ticket, because it represents a chance at a better future, and a 'key' into rooms that would otherwise not unlock for you. However, the only difference is that unlike a lottery, you earn this ticket--it's rewarded to you based on what you've learned and how much work you've done. So while it may look like a ticket (the degree), it's also something you wear for the rest of your life (which is why you wear a symbolic cap and gown for graduation); it becomes part of who you are, so that you, yourself, become the golden ticket.

      Delete
  3. College is like a bowl of ice cream. Its sweet, you may seem like you have all this freedom to do whatever however having too much of a good thing leaves you with a brain freeze. you have to enjoy it slowly and make your experience last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, this is a good one--and it reminds me of the experience Satrapi had. It is sweet, and the first taste is so good you can't imagine not taking a hundred more...but as you say, it quickly becomes overpowering. And like ice cream, it's over way too fast, even though you ordered a "four-year sundae." You eat, it melts, and then it's gone. And you're just left with your spoon and an empty dish, wishing you could go back for more. So yes, enjoy it while it lasts, and don't eat too quickly just to have the experience over!

      Delete
  4. My first year of college honestly has been like a zoo. I feel like I've been very restricted and almost in a cage because of covid and all the precautions we've had to take. I don't feel like I've gotten to experience the things I should be yet and I feel like I have been held back and living the same day over and over almost. Although I am hoping for the best and praying things start to go back to normal soon so I can have the college experience I've always dreamed of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the zoo metaphor works for this situation quite well, too, since we're all caged up, literally quarantined from one another, and not allowed to roam and explore like we normally would (even the hallways are empty, so unlike the usual stampede of students going from class to class). Fall will be different, and hopefully, back to the way things used to be. Hang in there!

      Delete
  5. Experiencing college through this pandemic has not been what I expected my first year of college to be like at all. It has honestly been kind of lonely, since there are limited in person classes and you feel as if you can't really make friends as easy.

    College is like scrolling through Tik-Tok: you never reach the end, and some moments are good and others are not. You never know what the next video is going to be, but you scroll anyway.

    -Cheyenne Adair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that's an interesting metaphor--a never-ending scroll of experiences...but eventually, you do reach the end of your feed! But hopefully, the more you read, the more you figure out what you want to find and the videos you want to save to watch again later (after the pandemic). Hopefully you'll have a much different, more positive experience (and metaphor) next Fall.

      Delete
  6. For me, college is like walking through a desert. It's empty, quiet, and quite repetitive. Occasionally you may pass through a desert village and meet people, but these occasions are few and far between. Sometimes you come across an oasis and get to take a break from traveling and cool off. The desert seems to go on and on forever but ultimately will end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. College is like the getting into the stock market. There really is not a set of directions to follow. Using the knowledge you have, you try to make the best decision possible. This can result in a big reward or a big loss. Either way you are gaining more knowledge so that when the time comes to make your next purchase, you are a little more educated. Over time you gain an idea on what is worth the money and what one ought to steer clear of. There isn't a set way to "do college". You try different things, some turn out to be good and others turn out to set you back. As you get further into your college journey you gain an idea on what to put your effort in in order to have the most success.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me personally, my first year of college has been like ferris wheel. It goes through the same cycle everyday, stopping at the top just for a moment to take in everything around it. For me I wake up everyday go to class, return home do a small amount of homework eat lunch then got to work. After work I return home finish my homework, spend an hour of free time, then go to sleep. The next morning the cycle restarts. But at each of these daily tasks, just like the ferris wheel, at some point weather it be the middle or the end, I slow down and take minute to observe life around me. I would not say being in pandemic is the best time to start college, as you cannot meet very many new people or partake in many activities. But as in all of life, you must make the best of the situation.

    -Braden Schroeder

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me my first year of college has felt like an elevator ride. especially when it is a full elevator. However it also felt like a quicker elevator ride then some I have been on. once you get out of high school is when you feel the wait of the elevator to open for you to get on. Then along the way you have trials and tribulations, you are figuring out what is going to work for you and what wont, so this is what would be like with waiting for your stop and other people are getting to their floors for me at least I tend to see other people "have it figured out" when in reality we are all in the same building yet experiencing things at our own pace. Eventually I will get to my floor it will just take a few minutes. The pandemic has made it feel like a long elevator ride that has awkward elevator music. All in all I am ready for my journey through college and looking forward to the many people I hopefully meet on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think of college as a "wave", you can either ride the wave and just go with the flow like a lot of people do in college. Most people go to college with no true plan, they just see other people picking popular majors so they just pick it too. You can also go against the grain and challenge yourself to be the best you can be in what ever you want to achieve in. By actually having a plan and knowing what you want to achieve, you can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good metaphor for what my life has been as a college student is college is driving on the freeway during rush hour. You feel constantly rushed, crowded and people are always trying to get in your way. Just like on the freeway at college you have to depend on yourself you can not worry about the people who can not get on or expect people to bend over backwards for you. But if you have to get on the free way in order to reach your destination that is what you must do and eventfully you will get there and feel the calm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think college has been like a "balancing beam" just when I think I got my footing I lose my balance with new obstacles in my way. In my freshman year, I had to move to a new place, meet new people, and have a new class. Balancing my mental health, work-life, relationships, along major family changes It has been a year to remember. I find that I just have to keep on going and do what I think is best for me and it works out. I had a great year but I am ready for the work to come nad keep moving forward on my beam.

    -Erika Lamb

    ReplyDelete
  13. college has been a little rough for me I'm not going to lie, but i have also had some fun here as well so college for me and i know this is a cliché but its like a roller coaster because before you get on you are all excited and nervous at the same time but cant wait to get on and start the ride and there will always be ups and down and you may even go in circles sometimes but everyones college experience is different and everyone goes at different paces and every pace is a good pace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Being in college feels like I'm running a marathon. I'm torn between trying to get ahead with a fast time and pacing myself. It feels too long of a distance to cover and I constantly doubt my ability and endurance. I'm counting down the miles until the end, guzzling water, and hoping that I don't seriously injure myself or pass out so that I can finish. I know making it all 26 miles will be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete